TCO: Primary Metal ManufacturingMegan Thompson
Application: Compressor Motor
Motor Type: AC Induction
A steel mill in the Midwest had reduced its production at a cost of $20,000 / hour as a result of a winding failure to one of its three compressor motors. All three motors had been in service for around 10 years without any major preventive maintenance services performed.
During inspection and rewind, IPS technicians noticed that the air gap between the stator core and rotor was full of contamination, and several lamination vent holes were plugged with debris.
• IPS determined that the stator winding insulation failed due to high temperatures resulting
from insufficient cooling of the motor caused by the excessive debris and contamination.
• Reconditioned the remaining motors to remove all of the debris and contamination from the lamination
vents and air gap, thus preventing additional winding failures, expensive rewind costs and
• IPS field service established visual inspection and preventive maintenance schedules for all customer
• The first year TCO with no preventive maintenance and two unplanned downtime events totaled around $316,258
• With an IPS Solution of $46,258, the IPS Solution Savings are $233,742
Download the complete case study and calculations below: